Winter Fashion Essentials
With autumn well under way, our cold-weather fashion senses are kicking into high gear. And, really, what’s not to love about winter fashion? From cool colors to traditional prints, and from classic textures to killer footwear, winter is arguably THE season for fashion. So, what’s hot for fall and winter this year? Keep reading to find out.
Stay warm and comfy in style in these up-to-the-minute outerwear trends:
- ~The classic trench. A trench coat is timeless: it will be stylish now and for years to come. Plus, it can be dressed up or down depending on your mood or activities. For extra warmth, opt for heavier fabrics like wool; for ladies in warmer climates, a more lightweight material will suffice. As far as prints go, stick with a classic, streamlined look by choosing a hue in solid black or camel, or go for a bolder look in bright green, red, yellow or blue.
- ~The pea coat. The pea coat is cool, modern and extremely versatile. From running errands to date night, this great topper spans the spectrum in terms of wearability. For a slimming look, chose a pea coat with a built-in belt, and with a hem that hits just below the hips. As for color and fabric, anything goes!
Stock your closet with these winter staples:
- ~The oversize sweater. Nothing says comfort like oversize knits. This winter staple is great for layering, and it looks great with skinny jeans, leggings and tights. For a dressier look, cinch it at the waist with a belt, and pair it with dark jeans and heels; for casual comfort, wear with jeans or leggings and ballet flats or slouchy boots.
- ~The cardigan. Like the oversize sweater, the cardigan is a layering essential that never goes out of style. This winter, choose bright, eye-catching colors and classic fabrics. Great hues include violet, cherry red, orange and electric blue. For a classic look, pair a cardigan with a plain tee, trousers and flats. For added class, throw on a strand of pearls or pin on an antique-style brooch.
- ~The button-down. For a present to your husband or father (or for yourself if you can pull it off), remember that menswear looks are super hot this season, and the button-down shirt will not disappoint. Wear it as a standalone, or layer it beneath a form-fitting sweater. Great styles and prints include the basic chambray, pinstripes, floral patterns and plaid sport shirts.
Shoes, shoes, shoes! Cold weather provides us with months and months of great footwear options. Make sure your winter wardrobe includes these must-have items:
- ~Ankle boots. This style isn’t going anywhere this season, so embrace the trend! What’s great about ankle boots is that they can be purchased in virtually any style, color, shape and fabric imaginable, so don’t be afraid to choose a pair that’s a little outside your comfort zone. For punk chic, try a pair with studs and zippers; for a daring look, try an animal print in a lush fabric.
- ~Thigh-high boots. This winter footwear trend is sexy and stylish, and will no doubt make your confidence soar. The trick to thigh-boots is to keep it simple: stick to solid colors and understated styles. Wear them with skinny jeans, leggings, dresses…you name it!
- ~Wedges. Terrified of slipping on ice in stilettos? Wedge heels and boots to the rescue! These super stylish, yet comfy options will go from the office to cocktail hour without missing a beat. For fall and winter, look for luxe fabrics like velvet and suede, and don’t be afraid to try wedges in bright, bold hues.
- ~English tall boots: If you ride English, then put those boots to good use. They look adorable with leggings, and non-riders regularly buy these to look the part.
And there you have it! Cold-weather looks that skimp on style or versatility. With these chic winter trends, you’ll stay warm while looking amazing!